My name is Deb Breslow, and I love to write. After college, I considered going back to school to become a therapist. But when a job opportunity that I could not pass up presented itself, I began my career in counseling and administration in women's health, preventive medicine and wellness, provider relations, and continuing medical education programming. When it was time to start a family, I stopped working full-time. And once I had kids, I knew that my true passion was writing. I wanted to write all about them: their experiences, their struggles, their interests, their fears, and their achievements. And, I did - for over 15 years. When my oldest son started high school, I asked myself the following:
- "Could I transfer my experience writing for magazines, medical advocacy and educational publications, and newspapers to coaching students in their college endeavors?"
- "Could I put aside the promotion of my two unpublished novels to focus on the countless number of students out there who either don't like to write or just need help getting started?"
- "Could I utilize my proven writing skills to support students in crafting a Common Application personal statement that would cause a college admissions officer to take notice?"
- "Could I help students express thoughts and ideas clearly and succinctly in the section of the Common Application that asks: "Please brieﬂy elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below:"
- "Could I help a student to see the writing process as an integral step in reaching an academic goal?"
- "Could I use my background in counseling to foster trust with a student? Would he appreciate my humor, honesty, and ability to share ideas and personal experiences?"
The answer was yes! If your kids see writing their college essay as the most difficult academic endeavor they've been assigned to date, contact me. I have been successful in helping students gain the confidence to write just what they want a college admissions officer to know about them. From the Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron: "... the minute I let myself write, everything else falls into balance. If I get a bit of writing in my day, then I can actually socialize with a clear conscience." That's how I feel about writing. I invite you to take a look at my website to learn more about me and my writing style. - Deb Breslow